Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Calmness is key....

Today Angie became upset with me and started yelling and tried to start a fight. She was concerned about a test Jon took today for his K-4 class. Angie enrolled him in First Baptist School. It is a private school in Brownsville. We enrolled Tori for K-3 for a year. The school is a good school. Angie enrolled and paid for it though without consulting me though. I think Jon would have been just as well off in a public school pre k program though. But that was her decision. So today Jon took a test to see where he was at. He didn't do well in a lot of areas while at the same time he exceeded in others. They told Angie they were a little concerned of where he was at. I called Angie after work and she told me she was worried. I told her that I was not and that with a lil work from the summer he will be fine. I think she mistook my lack of worry as a lack of concern. She got angry and asked me why I was not talking about it. I had told her that I just wanted to see the test results so I can see what Jon needs to work on. My son is an extremely bright boy. I have no doubt in my mind that he will master what he needs to by the end of the summer. I am concerned for Angie that she let this stress her as much as she did. She has a certificate in child development. She worked in a day care for years and then owned and operated one herself. She is working on her bachelors in education right now. I suppose the fact that John is her son maybe made it difficult for her to be objective about it. Indeed i did tell her that she was worrying more than she should and not being objective about it. Later this evening she texted me that she doesn't want to fight with me and she wants to know what WE will do about it and what WE will plan. I told her that I have full confidence in her education and experience to develop a plan for johnny and that once I receive Jon's recommendations of what he needs to work on that I too will be able to develop a plan for him here. I know that with the help of my mom who has umpteen years of child development experience and is a huge part of Tori's and Johnny's life that it will be no problem at all. I am saddened that Angie yet again takes how I act as a sign of coldness and unconcern. I have also been told from Shar though that sometimes I shut down in order to avoid confrontation. I wonder if maybe that is what Angie was referring to? Needless to say though, when it comes to Tori and Johnny and even Gabe in the future, I like to honestly believe that I will be able to approach there education in Calmness and not let negative feelings disrupt and dissolve a love for education which I will strive to the best of my ability to create for them.

2 comments:

JoeEuphonium said...

It seems like the issue again was not about jon, but about angie. She was searching for reassurance and .. as her text put it...

talk 2 me. Reassure me cuz i need dat from u. It makes me feel better.

I just need dat boost from u at times. Its so important 2 me and u don't see it.

Even when we are not together, I still fail her. :(

sunshine said...

Boe, you are not failing and didn't fail her... She was just overly stressed and needed not only support (which you gave her) but to take it out on someone. We all do in situations like these.. To me it seems you did exactly the right thing there was to do. You stayed calm , when she panicked and reasured her rationally. How one wishes to interpret it, on the other hand, is another story. You meant what you said, and no one else can judge that.

I hope things are working out now